A reception and award ceremony honoring the FAFS graduating class of 2019 took place on May 27, in the Charles Hostler auditorium and terrace. The audience included President Fadlo R. Khuri and his spouse Dr. Lamya Khuri who is also an FAFS EAB member, Provost Mohamad Harajli, former Minister Dr. Inaya Ezzeddine, FAFS EAB Chairman Mr. Khalid Sinno, members of the AUB Administration, FAFS academic and administrative family, and students, all of whom proudly and joyously celebrated with the families of the new graduates.
Dean Rabi Mohtar recognized the families, mentors, and friends of the class of 2019, acknowledging their dedication and continuous support to the students. He addressed the new generation of FAFS leaders, encouraging them to face the challenges that will come their way comprehensively and sustainably. Dean Mohtar noted that entrepreneurship is inherent in their chosen discipline of agriculture and food science: he advised that they remain engaged, as they learn to adapt, respond, and move forward with arising new opportunities. Read full speech of Dr. Mohtar here.
The event, emceed by Dr. Carla Habib Mourad, Lecturer at NFSC, FAFS, featured keynote speaker Mrs. Haifa Fahoum Al Kaylani, Founder and Chair of the Arab International Women’s Forum, Harvard Advanced Leadership Initiative Fellow, and Commissioner of ILO Global Commission on the Future of Work. Ramadan iftar and a celebratory parade followed the ceremony.
In an atmosphere of pride and inspiration, the 2019 FAFS Distinguished Students were recognized and received awards from Dean Mohtar and Dr. Mohamad G. Abiad, NFSC Associate Professor and Chair of the FAFS Student Affairs Committee. Omar Bahlawan (AGRI IV) and Tara Kanj (LDAR IV), fellow classmates and Distinguished awardees, offered remarks on behalf of the class of 2019.
FAFS’ esteemed 2019 Distinguished Students are::
- Penrose Award: Tara Kanj, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Landscape and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole
- The Dean Thomas Sutherland Award for Undergraduate Excellence: Tara Kanj, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Landscape and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole
- The Abdul Hadi Debs Endowment Award for Academic Excellence: Nivin Nasser, Candidate for the degree of Master of Science in Food Technology
- The Dean Nuhad Dagher FAFS Graduate Student Award: Majd Kais, Candidate for the degree of Master of Science in Poultry Science
- Dean Thomas Sutherland Prize for Graduate Excellence: Lara El-Gemayel, Candidate for the degree of Master of Science in Plant Science
- The Dr. Musa Najib Nimah Endowed Award for Academic Excellence: Rhea Khoury Helou, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole
- The Edgecombe Memorial Prize: Jad Kaj, (AGRI IV)
- The Nehme Moujaess Student Award in Landscape Architecture: Tara Kanj, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole )
- The Joana Haidar Award: Joy Atallah, (AGRI III)
- Kashadurian Award: Abdul Razzak Doughan (AGRI III)
- FAFS Alumni and Friends Award for Academic Excellence sponsored for academic year 2018-2019 by Appelite: Zahraa Hourany, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics and Layal Ghamloush, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Coordinated Program
- Outstanding Contribution Award to the Wellbeing of the Faculty: Omar Bahlawan, Candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole
For more info on FAFS awards, click here.
NFSC student, Sarah Safieddine, was also recognized and congratulated on receipt of the FAS Anwar Salman Award in Literature for academic year 2018/2019.
Graduating and continuing students acknowledged Ms. Rabia Kobeissi, assistant for student services, and in appreciation of the heartfelt support she provides, presented her with a signed plaque of recognition.
The FAFS family congratulates the class of 2019 and its distinguished awardees! We look forward to following their success as Ambassadors of FAFS around the globe, and recognize with appreciation the great support of all FAFS faculty and staff, who have equipped our graduating students to begin the next promising chapter in their lives.
For more pictures, click HERE.